What’s the difference between the state of Florida construction, plumbers, electrical contractor’s licensing exams, and individual County exams?
Top Ten Facts about County Licensing Exams:
- In Florida, county exams are are sponsored by each individual county.
- All counties in Florida offer unique licensing exams for a variety of trades.
- Thompson Prometric, Gainesville Independent Testing, and Gits are the companies that provide and oversee the trades licensing exams for each county.
- County exams are NOT easier than Florida state exams and are not always easier to qualify for.
- Every county in Florida also requires construction, electrical and plumbing contractors to take a Business & Law exam.
- Test scores between 70% – 75% can be considered as passing in some counties.
- You must have county license in order to pull permits in that specific county (example, in order for a contractor in Hillsborough County to pull a permit for a project in Manatee, that contractor must have a license to perform general contracting duties in Manatee County after passing that county’s exam).
- If Florida requires a specific license, but not your county, you must still register and be licensed with the state.
- Each county has fees associated with their specific licenses. Therefore, for each county license you hold, you will and must pay separate fees to those individual counties.
- Although many counties will reciprocate licenses with other counties, you will:
- Have to file for and go through the specific county’s application process & pay their fees
- NOT have to take that county’s exam as long as you meet the county’s specific score requirements
- Have to pay a fee to maintain your license each year
Is it better to take the local county’s licensing exam, or to get your Florida state contractor’s license?
Here at Building Trades Education Services, we advise that it’s better to stick with your county’s licensing requirements and take the exams for your county only if:
- You plan on working in one large county or city
- You can get reciprocity in surrounding counties
- There is an exam offered almost every week in various counties (so you don’t have to wait months)
Call 1-800-832-2496 to get your questions answered, or use our contact form and we will get right back to you.
Prepare. Learn. Pass. Build your future today with Building Trades Education Services. We will help you prepare for the Florida County Contractors Licensing Exams.